Six Palestinians killed in vast Israel operation in Gaza

Discuss Middle East Politics here.
appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Six Palestinians killed in vast Israel operation in Gaza

Post by appleton » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:47 am

More of the same :roll:
"We don't have the intention of reconquering Gaza Strip, our aim is to hit the terrorists," he said.
Oh well that's fine then :roll:
GAZA CITY (AFP) - Six Palestinians were killed and 35 wounded when the Israeli army launched a massive operation in the
Gaza Strip and seized control of a northern town, medical officials and witnesses said.
Click to learn more...

Infantry units backed by tanks stormed into Beit Hanun overnight, surrounding and blocking access to the hospital and establishing control over the town, witnesses said.

An Israeli army spokesman confirmed that a "major operation" was under way in the sector. Two air raids had been carried out and "30 armed Palestinians were hit," he said.

The spokesman said the operation was "limited," but refused to say when it would end. The action was aimed at stopping rocket fire, he said, adding that militants had fired some 300 rockets from Bein Hanun into the Jewish state since the start of the year.

The incursion came days after Prime Minister Ehud Olmert warned that
Israel could expand its four-month offensive in the coastal strip, which has already left more than 260 Palestinians and two Israeli soldiers dead.

Olmert was quoted as telling MPs in Jerusalem on Monday that the army was "preparing for an even more extensive operation in the Gaza Strip."

Israel's security cabinet was meeting on Wednesday to decide whether to enlarge the operations launched in Gaza late June after militants killed two soldiers and seized another in a cross-border raid.

Deputy Defense Minister Ephraim Sneh, appointed this week, said that Israel had no intention of reoccupying the impoverished coastal strip from which it withdrew last year after a 38-year occupation.

"We don't have the intention of reconquering Gaza Strip, our aim is to hit the terrorists," he said.

Despite pounding Gaza for four months, Israel has failed to stop militants from firing rockets from the strip and says that vast amounts of arms are being smuggled into the territory via tunnels dug to neighboring Egypt in the south.

Defense Minister Amir Peretz, touring Israeli units deployed near Gaza early Wednesday, said army officials had presented him with proposals for a major expansion of the offensive in Gaza, especially in the south along the Egyptian border.

"I heard proposals whose aim was to prepare the ground for an operation that would go as far as necessary," he said.

During the past several weeks, top Israeli officials have called for an expansion of the Gaza operation.

Palestinian prime minister Ismail Haniya denounced the warnings late Tuesday during a weekly cabinet meeting.

"The incursions, the threats, the arrests continue," he said. "The threats have reached a new level since they talk about a partial reoccupation of the Gaza Strip to try and isolate it from Egypt."

The latest deaths brings to 5,470 the number of people killed since the start of the second Palestinian uprising in September 2000, the vast majority of them Palestinians, according to an AFP count.
Last edited by appleton on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

RE: Six Palestinians killed in vast Israel operation in Gaza

Post by DodgeFB » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:20 pm

Maybe I am just depressed. But right now I am thinking we may be just as well off to bring all our people home, bring our equipment home, (I know it needs real maintenance) stop sending any of these "war happy" people any money or help of any kind. And just see what shakes out. At least then if we find something we really need to fight for Our people will be rested, our equipment ready for action, and we will have more money to back our move.

I don't know how the UK feels, but some of us here are just war weary. And really not getting much appreciation for the effort. We are getting our blood shed, spending our children's future for people who clearly would not spit on us if we were on fire. I know this world is all about give and take. But right now it feels like a few are giving all and so many are just taking. This country could have used a little pat on the back and a thank you. But no they want to trash us to the world while dragging us deeper into their own world of war after war after war. There will come an end to this. And if Bush does not stop it I think the next one will be forced to stop it.

This is just a few of my rainy day thoughts for whatever they are worth.
Last edited by DodgeFB on Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:20 pm

I think the feeling in this country is turning that way. However the British by our culture are less easily swerved this way and then the next than the americans. It seems that many more people are affected by the fact that their country is at war in the US. Over here, I think people would like the boys home, but I don't sense that desperation towards the government for not having more success.
True, a lot of US soldiers have died - and what for? It is a good question. The people there and in Iraq as well as those in Palestine seem so volatile and ready to fight. I don't understand this readiness to grab guns.

Certainly the majority of Iraqis, whatever they are grateful for, appear to be very antagonistic to any foreign military presence. I am very much for the forces clearing up the mess, but I am wondering now whether this is an infinite mess!
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:27 pm

[quote=Lad]
I think the feeling in this country is turning that way. However the British by our culture are less easily swerved this way and then the next than the americans. It seems that many more people are affected by the fact that their country is at war in the US. Over here, I think people would like the boys home, but I don't sense that desperation towards the government for not having more success.
True, a lot of US soldiers have died - and what for? It is a good question. The people there and in Iraq as well as those in Palestine seem so volatile and ready to fight. I don't understand this readiness to grab guns.

Certainly the majority of Iraqis, whatever they are grateful for, appear to be very antagonistic to any foreign military presence. I am very much for the forces clearing up the mess, but I am wondering now whether this is an infinite mess!
[/quote]

We lost over 100 just last month. And now to be getting jacked around and told to leave parts of the country by the same jackass that would not be in office if we had not helped him is a little much. I was all for sticking it out until they started playing games with us. Makes me think "ant farm" just for a minute.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:37 pm

I think we have to remember that if we go to war we pay the price. I personally can't let my support go up or down depending on how well the enemy do. Either I support it, I don't support it, or I don't care. I supported the war because I believed a pack of lies. If I was aware of that at the time, I'm not sure I would have given my support.
However, I do think that if the boys are going to stay there and finish the job then we can't raise/lower our support for the war as it suits us. I would hope that within the next twelve months the Iraqi forces will control most of Iraq. Sadly I think they will just be a barbaric brutal force constantly attacking and being attacked. I think the country will be flaming with hatred and revenge for many years to come.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:49 pm

[quote=Lad]
I think we have to remember that if we go to war we pay the price. I personally can't let my support go up or down depending on how well the enemy do. Either I support it, I don't support it, or I don't care. I supported the war because I believed a pack of lies. If I was aware of that at the time, I'm not sure I would have given my support.
However, I do think that if the boys are going to stay there and finish the job then we can't raise/lower our support for the war as it suits us. I would hope that within the next twelve months the Iraqi forces will control most of Iraq. Sadly I think they will just be a barbaric brutal force constantly attacking and being attacked. I think the country will be flaming with hatred and revenge for many years to come.
[/quote]

I can't support propping up a government that does not respect our people. I will always support our soldiers in every way. That is why I don't want some big bag of wind jerking them around and treating them like clowns. And I have a feeling our troops will be coming home when we get another president. No way will they be allowed to stay until the end under the democrats.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:51 pm

Yes I agree. The Democrats are almost bound to get it and the elections right now in the US are basically a taste of next election. I think people are tired of the republicans and tired of Iraq. I think a democrat would pull the troops out though not much sooner than the republicans would. Just my opinion there.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:46 pm

[quote=Lad]
Yes I agree. The Democrats are almost bound to get it and the elections right now in the US are basically a taste of next election. I think people are tired of the republicans and tired of Iraq. I think a democrat would pull the troops out though not much sooner than the republicans would. Just my opinion there.
[/quote]

I think you are right. But oh what a show the democrat will make out of (bringing our boys home.) They will have my stomach churning as they always do. They are always doing things that make them "feel good." But really have little if any effect in the real world.

My opinion again.
Last edited by DodgeFB on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:58 pm

I know! Just what I was thinking! They will be the big heroes and will rocket in the polls... lol

Luke
Political Stand:

Post by Luke » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:01 am

You know, when I read figures in the history book that say this war lasted from this date to this date, they're easy to pass over as just another war. But when we as citizens live on the homefront month after month hearing the reports come in, the length of war becomes a reality. Even blitz wars like Korea take years to settle down. WWII lasted forever, and I'm sure some people then wondered what the US was fighting in Europe for. The simple truth is we were helping to keep our allies from falling into German hands. Today, many people wonder what we're doing in Iraq, and why we have stayed there so long. We have removed the Iraq people from the tyranny of Saddam and are now keeping the enemy at bay while the Iraq government gets up to speed. To tell the truth, I don't see this war as done for a long while yet. Remember that the US was given possession of the Philippines at the end of the Spanish-American war in the early 1800s, and we didn't release all possession until after WWII! We did, however, get them on their feet, help them defend themselves, and establish the nation before we left. The same thing is happening, though slowly, in Iraq. The US has a mission here, and that is to clean up the insurgent fighters as best we can while Iraq steadily takes over. When they are ready, and I hope for goodness' sake not before, we can and will rightfully leave.
Last edited by Luke on Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I invented the Internet." - Al Gore