We knew it all along...

Discuss Middle East Politics here.
Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

We knew it all along...

Post by Lad » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:56 pm

but it doesn't bode well for Iran. Now almost everyone agrees they support terrorism. These extraordinary sums of cash from a country so poor. Who thinks Iran should have nuclear weapons? Hmmm.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle ... 112036.stm
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

RE: We knew it all along...

Post by DodgeFB » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:29 pm

[quote=Lad]
but it doesn't bode well for Iran. Now almost everyone agrees they support terrorism. These extraordinary sums of cash from a country so poor. Who thinks Iran should have nuclear weapons? Hmmm.

[/quote]
I don't think they should have them. But I think it has gone too far to stop them now.

As for them giving Hezbollah money, I am afraid I have seen this movie. Back when I was young (sounds silly I know) the US and the old Soviet Union would fight but they never got hurt. They would arm and support someone and we would arm and support their enemy. It was in my opinion a nasty game.

I am not saying this will happen. But this could happen.

Iran uses Hezbollah as their fighters. The United States uses Israel as their fighters.

And they both sit back and pull the strings.

Lots sword rattling and chest beating all round.

Where do I come up these opinions anyway?
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:35 pm

That's another way of looking at it. I hadn't considered that.

KDSM
Political Stand:

Post by KDSM » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:49 pm

[quote=Lad]

[/quote]

they are not poor for god's sake! they are floating on a sea of oil!

The only reason they are "poor" is because most of their oil income is going to their nuclear program and terrorisim abroad.

they are also training and funding the shia insurgency in Iraq
Last edited by KDSM on Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If your not going to fight a war to win......then dont bother starting it.

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:03 pm

My views on Iran are quite simple. If they want nukes that bad, we should send them a few!

[attachment=82]
Last edited by Romulus111VADT on Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:12 pm

"Floating on a sea of oil..." This has mystified me for some time; what puts the difference between countries like Kuwait and Saudi Arabia (which are prosperous, as far as I know) and countries like Iraq and Iran? Both have oil.
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:00 pm

There are several reasons. There are many many wealthy people who are multi-millionaires, perhaps billionaires in the oil trade. However, the other extreme is dire poverty. These countries have a very small middle class. The reason for the difference as KDSM points out is because they don't spend their money wisely. Iraq has been at war for years. The Iraq-Iran war saw 1 million people die alone and just imagine the financial cost for that. Nuclear technology is extremely expensive. These countries have the sun as well as oil - they have no need for nuclear. Their ambition is to get weapons and ultimately sanctions from the UN take their toll.

Saudi Arabia and Kuwait are much better off that Iraq and Iran because they are more sensible with their money and invest it in infrastructure. However, even in these countries the income is extremely unevenly distributed and there are many poor people and many very wealthy people.
Last edited by Lad on Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:05 pm

Hmm, yeah ... Good point about sanctions; I'd forgotten that.
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:43 pm

Iran is digging itself a hole. They from a economic point of view have probably invested too much into making the program work to stop enriching uranium.

I believe Ben is correct. The money made from the oil they export is not spent/used wisely. Just look at Bahrain there is just a small minority of people living in poverty compared to Iran.

Iran can keep on enriching uranium but it should not be surprised when international forces (maybe even the UN :P ) bomb Tehran.

This is true of some African countries. Nigeria springs to mind. They are quite rich but money is not spent wisely the people do not benefit. In the rush for nukes the people lose out! Just like N. Korea too
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:52 pm

Scary thought there Matt! " The thought of the UN actually going to war for real is too scary!!Image They need to send those messages "in the strongest possible terms" for about 20 years before they do too much. UN in a real war, scary stuff there. And you may be right.Image
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant