China destroys satallite with missile.

Discuss other international politics not covered here.

Moderators: Lass, Lad

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

China destroys satallite with missile.

Post by Lad » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:30 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p ... 276543.stm

I was very taken aback by that on the news. It helps support my theory that the next world war will be with China.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

jafar00
Political Stand:

RE: China destroys satallite with missile.

Post by jafar00 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:51 am

What's so threatening about a defence system that takes out satellites? Unless you are planning to start a war against them of course assuming we all survive the coming middle east conflagration involving Iran. ;)
Last edited by jafar00 on Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I reject your reality and substitute my own

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:09 pm

Wow, Next world war with China? What have they done so very wrong? Seems like we are bent on war in this forum ;) .

Just China showing they can do something the U.S and Russia could do and have done before. People are worrying that they may knock out satellites in a war though. Nothing for any nation to feel threatened about.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:43 pm

Regardless of this incident, China will be a major player in any future major war. Their human rights record leaves a lot to be desired, the communist restrictions on people, the lack of freedom of speech/expression ... it could be very difficult for Western nations to find an ally in China in a world war. But I don't see a third world war happening in the near future. Could be wrong, of course.
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

Luke
Political Stand:

Post by Luke » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:48 pm

What worries me about this is that this gives China the potential to shoot down our anti-nuclear missile satellites that are still in use from the Cold War. With the orbital laser protection gone, the U.S. would become vulnerable to nuclear attack. Currently the satellites in orbit can use laser beams to confuse guidance systems or completely destroy the warheads aboard in-flight nukes. If China destroyed them in a nuclear war, ballistic or guided missiles would again become a severe threat for the U.S.
Last edited by Luke on Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I invented the Internet." - Al Gore

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:22 pm

I don't think a world war is imminent from China, but I think we cannot forget that they have amassed a lot of power, but their attitudes haven't changed. They have an abominable human rights record and people are always being suppressed in very cruel ways over there.

What I didn't like about their actions Jafar is that nothing of this kind has happened for 20 years. They should have said what they intended doing beforehand. You don't just go shooting missiles up into space and destroy satellites. That aside what they have done could cause a lot of problems with all the debris in orbit.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

jafar00
Political Stand:

Post by jafar00 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:11 pm

Yeah, the debris is why the US and Russia stopped apparently.
I reject your reality and substitute my own

anildewani
Political Stand:

Post by anildewani » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:26 am

I dont think that this is such a big issue that one can easily say that next world war gonna be with China. :P

anyhow..i would always hope for peace.
Wars are bad, protest against wars. :)