Biggest threat to peace?

Discuss other international politics not covered here.

Moderators: Lass, Lad

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

RE: Biggest threat to peace?

Post by appleton » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:25 pm

Romulus111VADT wrote: It seems to me that Bush was pretty subdued until Muslims high jacked some planes and attacked the US on 9-11-2001 in an unprovoked attack killing 3,000 innocent civilians.

:disapprove:
Maybe when the terrorists highjacked those planes and crashed them into the WTC and Pentagon it hit him hard and sent him off the wagon. Leading to a mad "crusade". He isn't doing his country much good by opening up all these war fronts.
Yes there is little doubt that Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is a hater. And all that infidel and Zionists talk just makes him look more like a trouble maker than a real leader. But I guess it makes him feel better to spew all that garbage to the world. Then wonder why so many people don't trust him.Sign0089
Lot's of people are like that in life. They cause a lot of trouble, say stupid things then wonder why they aren't trusted by others.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by Romulus111VADT » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:18 pm

In 1939 before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. The US population was 132,000,000.

16.1 million -- The number of U.S. armed forces personnel who served in World War II between Dec. 1, 1941, and Dec. 31, 1946.

Prior to the declaration of war for the sneak attack. The US military was quite small (probably under 1 million) and under equipped. But the draft was instituted and the military became huge and with the US's industrial capacity. The US became a super power.

The current US population is 300,935,000 and we have an ALL voluntary military of 2,685,713 total with 1,426,713 active troops. We have available 109,305,756 (2005 est.) males & females ages 17-49. We have 4,180,074 (2005 est.) males & females reaching military age. If the draft is reinstated, it will become huge beyond belief.

The US's industrial capacity is probably several hundred times what it was in 1939.

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:13 pm

Bush isn't the world's biggest threat lol. Seriously, he's in his last term in office and thereafter he will probably stay out of politics. I agree with Rom that he reacted to terrorism in what he has done, whatever our opinions are on how he reacted. I think he's made mistakes, but I don't think he's out to make trouble.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, on the other hand, seems to be testing the waters ... seeing what he can get away with, and I don't much like the look of that. I don't trust him. I don't know enough to categorically call him a threat to world peace, but I am sure that we cannot be certain that he isn't - I for one get this gut feeling that he is. Time will tell. I hope not. Iran with nuclear secrets is not the Iran of years ago, surely. Reminds me of the old saying, 'power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely'.
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

jafar00
Political Stand:

Post by jafar00 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:10 am

[quote=Romulus111VADT]
It seems to me that Bush was pretty subdued until Muslims high jacked some planes and attacked the US on 9-11-2001 in an unprovoked attack killing 3,000 innocent civilians.

:disapprove:
[/quote]

Anyway, why aren't you angry at Bush? His actions in invading Iraq in an unprovoked attack have killed 3000 more Americans(the admitted figure. The real figure is more). Not to mention over 600,000 Iraqis (Red cross figure).

Edit: breach of forum rules on religion.
Last edited by Lass on Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I reject your reality and substitute my own

jafar00
Political Stand:

Post by jafar00 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:26 am

[quote=Lass]
Bush isn't the world's biggest threat lol. Seriously, he's in his last term in office and thereafter he will probably stay out of politics.[/quote]

He seems to be active as ever in his last term. Signing away rights of US citizens, sending a new surge of troops to Iraq, and spending another $100 billion of your money for his colonialism. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a major false flag "terrorist" attack before his term finishes. So major that he can postpone the elections and declare martial law. (The last sentence is just an opinion :p)

[quote=Lass]
I agree with Rom that he reacted to terrorism in what he has done, whatever our opinions are on how he reacted. I think he's made mistakes, but I don't think he's out to make trouble.
[/quote]

Was the Iraq invasion a reaction to terrorism? Or an unprovoked attack on an Oil rich but severely weakened(because of sanctions and constant bombing) nation?

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:23 pm

I'm too busy with my exams to participate here, but I would remind folks please stick to politics!
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:07 pm

Back to the question and thinking about it again... What is the Biggest threat to peace??

Man.. Plain and simple (I don't mean men :P ) Humans.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:18 pm

[quote=matt]
Back to the question and thinking about it again... What is the Biggest threat to peace??

Man.. Plain and simple (I don't mean men :P ) Humans.
[/quote]
Yes that is true. They all think they are right and seldom wrong.

(Shakes old gray head )Now how to get those pesky humans to act right.Image
Last edited by DodgeFB on Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

jafar00
Political Stand:

Post by jafar00 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:58 pm

Yes we humans are all bad. We need a group of Aliens to come down and tell us all to behave or they'll unleash their deathstar on us ;)