Spam Bots

Assemble around. Anything goes, just no political debate.
Longrider
Political Stand:

Spam Bots

Post by Longrider » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:46 am

Looks like you guys got hit by the SPAM bots. Is it wise to have the forum open to guest posting? Once these guys have your measure, you'll be flooded. Take a look at the NO2ID forum for an example of what happens. Their mods claim that they clear this junk out on a daily basis and I believe them. Unfortunately, the bots put more up as fast as it is taken down. I had a taste of this on my blog once. Every SPAM post I deleted was replaced by the time the screen refreshed.

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Re: Spam Bots

Post by appleton » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:30 am

[quote=Longrider]Looks like you guys got hit by the SPAM bots. Is it wise to have the forum open to guest posting? Once these guys have your measure, you'll be flooded. Take a look at the NO2ID forum for an example of what happens. Their mods claim that they clear this junk out on a daily basis and I believe them. Unfortunately, the bots put more up as fast as it is taken down. I had a taste of this on my blog once. Every SPAM post I deleted was replaced by the time the screen refreshed.[/quote]

Hi there Longrider,

I have had that bot post the same message on my other sites. It seems to be hitting phpbb forums. We are either hoping to change forum software or wait for the release of phpbb3. What would you suggest we do?

We are looking to generate more traffic and make it more appealing to vistors on site.

The bot post has been removed. Guest postings won't be blocked yet.

Thanks,
Matt :)
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Longrider
Political Stand:

Post by Longrider » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:04 am

So far as I'm aware, blocking guest posting is the only way of stopping them. Some have started registering as members on boards (mine is IPB 2). But at least you can set the filters or use validation to stop them getting any further.

If you allow guest posting - and NO2ID has a specific policy of allowing it due to the nature of their campaign, then this is just going to be an ongoing problem. Sometimes, their board is full of the stuff. I think there will come a point when you have to make a judgement about just how much effort you want to put into clearing up after them.

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

RE: Spam Bots

Post by appleton » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:20 pm

This problem has been solved. Thanks for the heads up Longrider ;) .
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes