Gaming

Assemble around. Anything goes, just no political debate.

Moderators: Lass, Lad

Dom
Political Stand:

Gaming

Post by Dom »

Howdy everyone!

So, does anyone here play PC games much?

I'm not a massive gamer these days, but there are a couple of titles that I can never say no to, like Half Life and Command and Conquer. I've also bought Crysis today as well, so hopefully with my new graphics card it should look ultra sweet!

Anyone else play games, even online?

:)
Last edited by Dom on Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

RE: Gaming

Post by appleton »

I play some games when I have the time. I want to buy call of duty 4 or Football manager soon.

I like management games like F1time.com and EAsports F1 Manager :)

What graphics card you getting?
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Dom
Political Stand:

Post by Dom »

Well I was looking around a fair bit, and found a GeForce 8800GTS 640Mb card that had been overclocked, and it was quite impressive for £220, but Ebuyer have discontinued it. :P

So in the end I got one of the new 8800GT's off of Ebay. 512Mb, 600MHz core speed, 1.8GHz RAM speed. I haven't received the new card yet, but hopefully it should be here within a week. It was the only thing that was letting my PC down a bit, so I thought I might as well get Crysis to give me an excude to upgrade. :P

appleton
Technical Administrator

Post by appleton »

I'm looking for a really good one for my laptop. Not sure where to even start looking though :P
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Dom
Political Stand:

Post by Dom »

I dont know anything about laptops these days. I know you can get some pretty good ones, but to be honest I wouldn't touch most laptops with a barge pole if I wanted to play games. A family member of mine bought one recently that is actually quite impressive, but she paid a fair bit for it.

I started off buying a PC from Big Pockets (as they had some offers on at the time) and then I've added a couple of extras as time has gone on. It's worked out a lot cheaper and I've got a great system now.

My laptop is for work only. Oh, and classic games like Command and Conquer Red Alert lol.
Last edited by Dom on Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

Laptops should never be bought for gaming. Even the most powerful ones still don't rival the desktop PC. They are made for portability and as a result they sacrifice the needs that the big machines have to run well.

I like flight simulators. Flown them for years. Used to be into racing games, but haven't really played them for the last couple of years.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

appleton
Technical Administrator

Post by appleton »

Laptops should never be bought for gaming? Yes, there are laptops that are made for gaming. Alienware has a extensive range for example.

My laptop is made for the medium range end of gaming. The statement that they don't rival the desktop PC is a little old. If you told me that 12 months ago or so I may have believed you. Now laptops are matching desktop PC's well and even ahead of them. Technology moves fast :)

Dom
Political Stand:

Post by Dom »

Laptops are certainly catching up PCs I think, as you often see laptops with 2Gb RAM and even a 256Mb graphics card, which is still more than adequate on a desktop PC. Still, I think that laptops made for gaming are likely to be more expensive than an equivalent desktop machine, so unless I was serious about gaming and moved around a lot, I still wouldn't buy a laptop for gaming.

And I like my shiny desktop case anyway. :P If you want to have a look at it, I bought THIS a couple of months ago.

:)

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

I beg to disagree. To run the top end games - I mean the very top end games few systems currently out there will run them. No doubt there will be a super-laptop out there worth many thousands of pounds that could do the job, but I mean that for those with limited budgets laptops do not give the performance per pound that a desktop will. I couldn't tell you a ratio, but to run FSX (max settings and brilliant performance) on a complete system you need at least a budget of a minimum £1,500 right now to homebuild for a desktop PC. I looked on alienware and there was nothing in the laptops sections anywhere near good enough! The desktop section had more than was needed and the price tags were around £2,250. Now I know lots of that is mark up and building costs, hence why my lower price of at least 1,500 if you homebuild.
Last edited by Lad on Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

appleton
Technical Administrator

Post by appleton »

A homebuilt, mobile gaming machine?

As for FSX I don't have to deal with that fortunately. My laptop runs call of duty 4, Age of Empires, medal of honor allied assault fine.

Homebuilt is great but you just don't get that feeling when you build as opposed to buy a top end machine.