You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?

Assemble around. Anything goes, just no political debate.

Moderators: Lass, Lad

Dom
Political Stand:

You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?

Post by Dom » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:58 pm

A lot of things, actually.

But there's one thing in particular that seems to get more and more ridiculous with passing day - and that's media advertising.

I know it's a rather large and cumbersome subject, and encompasses a whole range of media (such as newspapers, magazines, billboards and radio etc) but the main oozing cesspit of nonsense that bugs me is TV advertising. You know the adverts I mean, the ones advertising products for women usually. Well, sometimes men's products wiggle their way in there as well, but usually in the form of David Beckham's beard.

No, the ads I'm talking about are the ones that use absolute nonsense and completely fictitious "technical terms" to wow the viewer into buying something. Now I can understand the angle that the marketeers were coming from originally. At least, I know why I would have done it like that. You see, the majority of the public aren't going to know what all of these fancy chemicals and compounds are that get put into the latest bottle of shampoo, for example. So to get people to buy the shampoo, the adverts claim that it contains "an aqua/silica gel" or "citrus vitamins and extracts". I'm sure they do, but people don't realise that they're effectively being sold water with fruit juice in it. But because people are too proud to admit that they don't have the foggiest idea what "oyster minerals" are, they'll buy the product, thinking that it must be good for them.

Which is (sort of) OK. I can see how it works. But these days, the marketing folk down at Pantenne seem to have forgotten why they put all these fancy terms into their latest adverts. Now, it seems, they just do it for the sheer hell of it.

Take that advert for shampoo I mentioned. I forget which one exactly (that's how memorable the advert was) but amid all of the semi-naked models swishing their hair about, there was a claim that it contained "light-reflecting shine technology".

Light-reflecting shine technology.

Sounds swishy when you first hear it. Then I stopped and thought about it for a second. I hope you have too, because then it'll come as no surprise to you that that statement is so bleedin' obvious it didn't need to be said. Ask yourself, what other kind of shine is there, if not light-reflecting? If the "shine" isn't reflecting light, how is it shining?

It's a case of marketing no-gooders making stuff up to try and sell to the public. And what annoys me most is that people actually buy it. The advert I mean, not just the product.

Here's another illustrious example. There's an advert on at the moment for a hairdryer. The selling point of the hairdryer, if the advert is to be believed, is an "in-built system". That's right, an in-built system. Because we all know that other hairdryers have only got sand in them. But not this one, oh no! Quick, let's all buy it.

It's ridiculous. They'll say anything and everything in a 30-second advert to sell you something these days. And when you stop and think about what they're actually saying, it sounds absurd. Yet nobody ever says anything about it. Maybe people don't care, or they haven't noticed, or both. I don't know why I'm even writing about it. I guess I just think it needed to be said.

Yep, it grinds my gears good. Advertising is only going to get more and more personalised, and while I barely notice Google's Ads while I read Google Mail emails, this is only the start. We'll soon be living in a Minority Report-style world where adverts are personalised to us individually. Which is scary in a way, as it means that advertisers might start getting clever to overcome whiney sods like me.

Right, I'm off to Argos.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

RE: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?

Post by Lad » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:51 pm

I very rarely take any notice of adverts. Most don't impress me, but there are exceptions. Some ads are good and worth the viewing. This Honda ad has to be the best of all time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inhYO97OU3I
It must have cost the company millions to get it hosted. A full 2 minutes. I didn't get convinced to buy it though; not because it wasn't a good car mind you. ;)
One source of advertising that will grab my attention is holiday packages and flight offers in newspapers. They are REALLY worth their money and sometimes are too good to believe.

The shampoo ads though and that are really annoying; to be honest I don't care what shampoo I use, they all do the job more or less the same and I will buy the best I can afford and no ad is going to push me. I normally go with whatever Tesco's has up on offer; especially the buy one get one free stuff!
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:35 pm

Pantenne can probably make all the profits they want with my custom alone, since I've bought practically no other brand in yonks. I'm mortified lol. :undecided:

Ah well, if you hear of Pantenne's collapse, you'll all know why. Lass stopped buying from them ... :icon_lol:

Regarding ads generally (and slightly more seriously), they can be amusing to my poor mind, if not constantly repeated. Radio ones, particularly, where they have to try so hard with the sound effects ... The whole 'in-built system' is laughable ... I'm sure it doesn't impress many people lol. Funny, yes, they can be. But I've never bought anything on the basis of an ad like that. Word of mouth from someone who's already got the item works better for me.

As an after thought, Dom, these ad designers will be quite satisfied just to know that people don't totally switch off during breaks in their favourite TV shows ... :cool:
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:21 pm

I don't mind ads. They pay for things. I put them at the back of my mind except the really great ones.

Love this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J62p0EEq_F8 :)
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Lass
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lass » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:34 am

Never seen that one, Matt. Loving this too ... http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4vVPeJjh24E ...Yes, I could really get into ads lol. :)
Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth ... Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar. [JE Hoover]

Dom
Political Stand:

Post by Dom » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:51 am

Hehe, well, call me a cynic, but I cant help but notice TV adverts just to complain about them. :tongue: :tongue:

I don't mind adverts, I suppose, but only when they're clever or funny. Ads that try to impress me with fancy terms that don't mean anything are a waste of time. I suppose it works for some people, just not me. :)

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:59 pm

That's another point though that Matt brought out. If we didn't have ads your TV costs would probably be 10 times what they are. It's the ads that keep the cost down.
If advertising didn't work, companies wouldn't spend millions doing it, but as I already said I never really buy anything because I have seen it advertised.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

appleton
Technical Administrator

Post by appleton » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:07 pm

Advertising will also be part of what pays this communities bills.

Advertising isn't just about selling products or services though. Companies use it as a great way to gain brand recognition.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

appleton
Technical Administrator

Post by appleton » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:53 pm

This isn't a ranting thread.

We should be saying Ads stink. They give me headaches and make me blow steam!!!! Argh, Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evilgrin0012: :evilgrin0012: :evilgrin0012: :evilgrin0012: :evilgrin0012: :evilgrin0012: :icon_evil: :icon_evil: :icon_evil: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:
Last edited by appleton on Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dom
Political Stand:

Post by Dom » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:29 am

Well I thought I started well, but I guess people are too nice to rant! :tongue: