You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? Part II

Assemble around. Anything goes, just no political debate.

Moderators: Lass, Lad

Dom
Political Stand:

You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? Part II

Post by Dom »

Cookery programmes.

I've come to realise over the last few weeks, while watching Gordon Ramsey get into slag-match after slag-match with ghetto chefs, that cookery programmes are becoming less and less like actual cookery programmes.

Now I like the idea of a good cookery programme, especially in this day and age, where we have ready-meals, preservatives, pesticides and E-numbers. But when I watch one, I expect to actually learn how to cook something.

Is that so much to ask? I don't think so. Sure, you can jazz up the programme a bit, and make it fun and light-hearted if you want to get the younger viewers watching, but not if you're going to do away with the educational parts altogether. If kids don't want to know how to cook, then fine, leave them to their McDonalds grease buckets. But some people actually like to cook, and although I want to be entertained somewhat, I also want to be educated by people who know better than me.

So, next time a cookery programme comes on, get a stop watch out, and get ready to time how many minutes of the show is spent actually showing you how to cook. I'd hate to put a figure on it these days - it's probably around 50% if you're lucky. The rest of the time the camera is just zooming in and out; showing random shots of dirty spoons on the worktop; or letting the viewers count how many individual spots the chef has on the lower part of their face through a massive close-up shot.

Anyway, don't let me spoil your fun. It is a laugh watching people turn their noses up at Ramsey's advice, and consequently sending their restaurant into the pits of bankruptcy, and I suppose you wouldn't really call that a cookery programme. But for the ones who do like to think of themselves as cookery programmes, they could at least show us some cooking!

;) ;) ;)