Smoking in public places

Parliamentary democratic deficits, lazy representatives, and trade deficits. Discuss all these issues here.
mongoman
Political Stand:

RE: Smoking in public places

Post by mongoman » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:52 pm

The smoking ban has had a load of negative and positive effects on the UK.

I think that the positives have been pretty well covered above, so I'll talk about a couple of the drawbacks to the ban.

The ban has led to fewer people going to pubs and bars because of the fact that they can't smoke. This effects the local businesses - pubowners and the such, which has led to the closure of many pubs. Also, because fewer people are going out, services such as trains, buses and taxis are losing money as one of the major uses of these services comes from people who have been attending pubs,. clubs and bars as they are the ones who cannot drive because of alcohol consumption.

On top of all that, the lack of people in bars has led to more people drinking at home, where they can smoke. This in turn increases binge drinking as there are fewer restrictions on drinking at home than at bars.

Finally, the fact that the smell of cigarette smoke has been removed from bars, clubs and pubs, there are new smells taking over - particularly in clubs and bars with live music - sweat and urine. I don't know about you, but I personally prefer the smell of tobacco smoke then other people's bodily fluids.

Lakrite
Political Stand:

Post by Lakrite » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:51 am

If there are enough people attending pubs (and will only go if they can smoke) to harm transportation in a major way, then there is a bigger problem with the society.
"Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives."
-Ronald Reagan

"Life is a story; if you stay on the same page forever you will never finish it."
"There are days you are the pigeon and days you are the statue."

mongoman
Political Stand:

Post by mongoman » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:12 pm

What do you mean by that Lakrite?

Liberal_Scotty
Political Stand:

Post by Liberal_Scotty » Mon May 25, 2009 3:34 pm

My state will go smoke free in all public placs starting June 1st. There are some notable exceptions-20% of hotel rooms and cigar bars. I think my state has reached a common sense compromise in regards to exceptions to the rule. In general, the public's health should not be allowed to be compromised in most public settings. The cost to society far outweighs the benefit of allowing someone to spread carcinogens around to others in a restaurant. :sign0201:

allenborder
Political Stand:

Post by allenborder » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:20 am

Smoking will be prohibited at all places to which the public has access, including auditoriums, health institutions, government buildings, restaurants, courts, public conveyances, public transport, stadiums, railway stations, bus stops, workplaces, shopping malls, refreshment rooms, discotheques, pubs and airport lounges. The ban will not cover open spaces.Union Health Minister Anbumani Ramadoss has welcomed the Supreme Court order declining to stay the Centre’s notification prohibiting smoking. He described the ban as a major step towards providing a smoke-free atmosphere and protecting non-smokers from passive smoking.He said he had personally written to Governors, Chief Ministers, Health Ministers and Members of Parliament to ensure effective implementation of the ban.

stevejack
Political Stand:

Post by stevejack » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:26 pm

Hi..
Absolutely Right Decision regarding smole in public place..

jolojim
Political Stand:

Post by jolojim » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:54 pm

Yeah I guess that is really a bad effect for those who really not smoking, the smoke has a larger effects to those who are not smoking that the smokers so why just they can't rid to smoke in a public places? that seems like unethical right?

Dirk
Political Stand:

Post by Dirk » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:13 am

I'm torn here between principle and health.

Okay, i think people should be free to light up wherever they like. I disapprove, of course. Legislation restricting civil liberties is not acceptable - though there is considerable benefit to society. I don't think Governments should enforce them.

We need to stop having the Government do everything for us like we are little kids. This should be a matter of responsibility.

If someone wants to puff their lungs out, it's not my business.

Now, where kids and such are concerned - i think that it can be settled easily between mature adults. If a smoker is approached by a guardian and respectfully requests the smoker to smoke outside the vicinity of their child, i think they would move.
Working Class And F***ing Proud!

A, B, C, D - Eviscerate the bourgeoisie.

Freedom Or Death. One solution:
R-E-V-O-L-U-T-I-O-N!

All Power To The People!

dadan
Political Stand:

Post by dadan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:07 am

I smoke and also go out round town a lot. I find that I smoke considerably less when I am out than I used to and it really doesn't bother me anymore.i think its fine to smoke outside

code1
Political Stand:

Post by code1 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:33 pm

smoking should be banned out right,smoke should be dissolved,i would like to see a smoke free world :sign0201: