How valid is atheism.

Wish to debate religious topics? Get debating!
wahaneebelly
Political Stand:

How valid is atheism.

Post by wahaneebelly » Thu May 27, 2010 1:05 pm

I don't have a belief in God/gods myself but I don't rule them out and am probabaly agnostic. But I do see a lot of atheists as committed to the nonexistence of God/s. Nevertheless, if a caveman didn't believe in atoms, that would be valid on the basis of his lack of evidence or personal experience of atoms. So what I am saying is, is it valid to not believe in something based on a lack of evidence alone? And if you base it on other beliefs about probability, etc., then that makes atheism a belief system. A simple lack of belief in something doesn't tell us whether that thing exists or not. I am concerned when people argue as if they had knowledge "that God/s doesn't exist".

jacobrock23
Political Stand:

RE: How valid is atheism.

Post by jacobrock23 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:41 am

Atheism is an interpretation laid onto the top of scientific explanations.
Saying how a cell works does not reduce the necessity of a god or the probability of a god. Considering how immensely varied and complex things are it doesn't seem obvious that you would strip your causal explanations of any meaning by having no convincing or explicable cause for the phenomenology of things their emergent or intrinsic character.

Zhjhdf
Political Stand:

Post by Zhjhdf » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:28 am

Hello Everyone,
To be a stringent atheist in my opinion you have to explain why an analysis of material causes suffices as a coherent explanation for existence. You wouldn't be happy surely if someone found a person with a knife in the back and someone said "It just happened" or "It was just a case of a culmination of of blind causal processes in which a series of shifts in Molecules led to a realignment of the functioning of other groups of molecules."

simonjoyers
Political Stand:

Post by simonjoyers » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:58 pm

Atheism, morality and meaning is a valuable resource for humanists, who seek a refutation of these arguments common authority, but mistaken theist.

signelect
Political Stand:

Post by signelect » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:25 pm

My only problem with non believers is their constant effort to take away my right to believe. I can't pray in public, can't use a nativity scene or say Christmas. Go ahead and not believe in God but leave me along to believe it is my choice. You can read the funny papers while I pray for all I care, just don't try to shut me up.