Discuss Middle East Politics here.

Moderators: Lass, Lad

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Lebanese Cabinet Minister Is Killed

Post by appleton »

More news for this section...

Prominent anti-Syrian Lebanese Christian politician Pierre Gemayel was shot today. Full article is here.

Who's at fault this time? Syria?

Matt
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

RE: Lebanese Cabinet Minister Is Killed

Post by Lad »

They are supposed to have killed the PM of course last year. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Syria or a pro-syrian fanatic. Very sad, I hope this doesn't bring more war into the region. :(
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

appleton
Technical Administrator

Post by appleton »

Someone trying to destroy Lebanese democracy. No 1 suspect is Syria or Iran. I too hope this doesn't flare things up :sad:

My opinion.
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

amanda
Political Stand:

Post by amanda »

I am so saddened by what happened to Pierre Gemayel. By the new year, there will be no more honest and strong politicians left in Lebanon, if nothing is done to stop the assassins.

Everyone knows Syria and Hezballah are behind this, but why isn't anything being done? The investigation that is going on and supposedly to conclude by next year, is not enough! In order to end this, the Lebanese people must get rid of Lahoud and Hezballah. Then Syria must be punished for what they have done to the country. This strife must end before it goes too far and non of us will ever be able to see Lebanon for what it truly is, "the pearl of the Middle East."

Keep LEBANESE DEMOCRACY STRONG! :smile:

(its matt that aske me to start posting here. So here I am. I send you my condolences for having to put up with me)

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB »

Always glad to hear your opinions.Image
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

Sadly, Lebanon is fast falling into the hands of terrorists. They had that big demonstration the other week. I think that at the next elections Hezbollah will be stepping up for government and they'll win iun a landslide. I also predict that as in Palestine things will then go from bad to worse.

appleton
Technical Administrator

Post by appleton »

I'd say it's about 50/50 myself. There have also been massive protests for Syria and Iran to back out of their politics. Typing in google "Lebanon protest against hezbollah" and all I see is pro-hezbollah rubbish. This certainly is not how it is.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 81192.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 49,00.html

The people who want Lebanon to stay a democracy and free from outside intervention need to speak the loudest and continue rallying support. Or else it could slide..

That big demonstration lost week was a few days after the anti-Syrian/Iran one by the way :smile:

We'll see what the future holds..

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

Lebanon has been unstable for years and the whole region is very volatile. I fear the worst. It seem that as far as Palestine goes the terrorists now seem preocupied with fighting each other and have forgotten Israel. :icon_rolleyes: I see a mirror of Palestine in Lebanon.

appleton
Technical Administrator

Post by appleton »

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad »

[quote=matt]
I don't see it getting that bad as long as the vocal against Iran/Syria intervention remain. The Lebanese that support Lebanese democracy in Lebanon need to keep up rallying and continue to get big protests in. They should not back down or be intimidated, when their friends are killed because they support the democracy they should stand stronger and hold firm.

Sometimes I really do wish the UN would intervene more in these situations. It's such a beautiful country and it's been torn apart too many times by many wars.[/quote]

I think the UN would love to, but they know they are a crumbling force. They are torn in themselves between a desire for peace in a region ravished by violence and strife for many years and interfering by war which is basically all a military presence would cause.

[quote=matt] (A lot of these wars have a lot to do with two main "R's" that I will not mention here, so I don't get smacked by Lad and his cane :tongue: ). This whole region is based on Politics and "R".

My �2[/quote]

�2?! �2? That's very optimistic. ;)

Ben's cane = Image
Last edited by Lad on Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.