Israel - Gaza

Discuss Middle East Politics here.
appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Israel - Gaza

Post by appleton » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:13 pm

At least 52 Palestinians and two Israeli soldiers have been killed in one of the deadliest days of fighting in Gaza since troops withdrew in 2005.

Doctors said at least eight were children and up to 16 were militants. Israel said most were militants.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle ... 272329.stm

Israel bombards Gaza again. Killing 16 militants and some children.. This region is just getting worse! :(
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

Romulus111VADT
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

RE: Israel - Gaza

Post by Romulus111VADT » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:55 pm

Well, if Hamas would stop sending rockets into Israel, it might help the peace process a great deal. If memory serves me correct, there was a tentative peace until the rocket attacks started again.

It seems like they only thing that makes Hamas happy is killing.

Lad
Global Moderator
Political Stand:

Post by Lad » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:45 pm

What I can't understand is the sympathy for the Palestinians. If any country in the world faced what they do no-one would lift a finger of comlpaint. If Mexico sent rockets and suicide bombers into the US would you expect the US NOT to invade? If France did the same to Britain, would we not invade? Now, what if they did that for YEARS!!

The Palestians voted for a terrorist organisation and research their shows almost total population support in some way or another for the efforts by the various terror groups (Hamas is one of many!). Even, hypothetically, if only 25% of the population supported these groups I still would have no time for the country, because they do absolutely nothing to stop, hinder or discourage these wicked murderers.

I don't like Israel much either, so I don't think I am biased, but they do only bomb and invade to defend themselves. Yes, they do have revenge tactics, but rather than directed at innocent people they target (although not always sucessful) the perpetrators. What annoys me is that every missile Israel drops the world's press shouts on the hilltops about it, but the daily barrage of rockets, suicide bombers that try (and fail) to penetrate Israel are totally unreported. Even the rockets that do make it over are barely reported. Hardly fair journalism. Every single day suicide bombers try to get into Israel and are stopped by the high security. In my opinion its amazing Palestine hasn't been flattened; because I bet if us Brits got bombed 24/7 for years I'd be supporting, along with many others, a full scale wipeout of the country holding the perpetrators.
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

johnruddock
Political Stand:

Post by johnruddock » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:30 am

If the Arabs put down their weapons there would be no more war.
If the Israelis put down their weapons there would be no more Israel.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:18 pm

I do have sympathy for some Palestinians. They were born and grew up in that hell hole. Most have nowhere to go and no support if they made it out. My guess is if any Israelis run to the US they would be greeted with open arms. If a Palestinian makes their way to the US they will be greeted by Homeland Security.

In my opinion there is not the will on either side to ever have lasting peace. But both sides have their "friends" that are more than happy to help them keep the fight going.
Last edited by DodgeFB on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

appleton
Technical Administrator
Political Stand: Liberal

Post by appleton » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:48 pm

[quote=DodgeFB]
I do have sympathy for some Palestinians. They were born and grew up in that hell hole. Most have nowhere to go and no support if they made it out. My guess is if any Israelis run to the US they would be greeted with open arms. If a Palestinian makes their way to the US they will be greeted by Homeland Security.

In my opinion there is not the will on either side to ever have lasting peace. But both sides have their "friends" that are more than happy to help them keep the fight going.
[/quote]

Couldn't have said it better really :)
"Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist. Madmen in authority, who hear voices in the air, are distilling their frenzy from some academic scribbler of a few years back" - John Maynard Keynes

philbell
Political Stand:

Post by philbell » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:01 pm

Normally I would agree with the general concensus of what has been said if it had been a different arab nation, but a huge point has been missed here.

Israel was a state created by the west as a home for the Jews after WWII, displacing all of the Palestinians or putting them under the rule of a different race. The unrest and terrorism has existed ever since.

Imagine a situation where the UK was told "Right, we are creating a new nation, we are taking over your homes, buisnesses and lives. Get out of the country or accept it."
I don't think we would be too happy about it, and if the 'invaders' were then effectivly made into a super power, there would be little choice but to wage a guerilla war in order to fight back.

To make things worse, of all the religions they were taken over by are probably the most arrogant and also the biggest biggots in the world, after all 'they are the chosen ones'. They treat the imposed nation worse than dogs after taking their country away from them.

It is wrong for the suicide bombers and rockets to be sent in to Israel, but they are often in response to invasions by troops and planes dropping bombs on hundreds of innocent people, which is often not reported in the west. What other way do they have to hurt Isreal back? It took all the land and wealth and this is the only way they have to fight back.

It has been reported today about beatings and and such that Isrealis are commiting against farmers and such, just like a KKK would have 40 years ago in the US. However you look at it, it is race hate on both sides. They are both wrong.

Around the world there are all sorts of wars 95% over religion. Until all sides stop believing the story books that they have been brought up with there will never be an end to it all. It is all so childish!! It is the old 'I'm right and you are wrong, if you don't agree with me I'm gonna kick your head in' scenario only on a bigger scarier scale.

DodgeFB
Gifted Member
Political Stand:

Post by DodgeFB » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:42 pm

I get your point. But I don't see things getting much better there in my lifetime. Once one person or any size group of people really are ready to die for whatever "cause" it is very hard to stop them.

As happens here way to often,(murder/suicide.) women are killed by husbands and lovers before the ink dries on their (order of protection.) Once one person is ready to die just to kill one or more people they have a good chance of success. And some of those people grow up hearing all this hate filled rhetoric and believe it with all their heart.

When all is said and done it is just too sad.Image
The opinions expressed are solely of the writer.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

ford007
Political Stand:

Post by ford007 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:53 pm

[quote=johnruddock]
If the Arabs put down their weapons there would be no more war.
If the Israelis put down their weapons there would be no more Israel.
[/quote]

Well.. if Israelis put down their weapons, then there will be a repeat of some of these events:

No.1

No.2

No.3

and perhaps a repeat of this.

Any one still wants Turkey in EU? Then not only Turkey, all middle eastern nations and nations like Somalia, Sudan and Libya should be granted EU membership.
Enough of (ZA)Nu Labor. BNP is the only real alternative.

Niall_İsxaqov
Political Stand:

Post by Niall_İsxaqov » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:33 pm

Had the Palestinians elected some other party than Hamas, then this situation could have been avoided. They themselves elected the extremist party. Now there is no use moaning about the side effects caused by it. Never poke a sleeping bear... (Like Georgia declaring war on Russia, at least in Georgia, the President was mentally deranged. What about the people of Gaza?). If you can't fight someone, then don't fight. Else suffer the consequences.
Holy Russia will save the world